It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of our dear friend, recondesprayer (a.k.a. recon). He was a pillar (some times the only pillar) of the HK community. He will be greatly missed by many.

If you would like to help the family with funeral costs, there's a GoFundMe page available at https://gofund.me/c9909342

Our user Sparkymilarky made this tribute video for him. Please watch and remember him.

(July 09) x

Monday Night mapping class

Hello all. Starting Monday night I will be teaching mapping classes for anyone that wants to learn. Before attending the class you should download all of the mapping tools and install them on your computer. Recon will be posting the link to the tools. I will try and be around this weekend to help set up the tools individually before-hand.

If you don't have a Google Plus account please set one up as I plan to use their desktop sharing tool to show what to do. Download their Hangout software plugin as well

I didn't do good in school, but I was there to watch the movies lol. I will take in as much with out slowing down the class :?

I downloaded "hammer 3.4" and installed it in c:\program files\valve hammer editor\

I then downloaded dod_v131_haircut.fgd and halflife-dod2-expert.fgd and put them in the fgd\day of defeat directory under hammer.

And I downloaded a bunch of other things that seemed useful - wally, bsp2map, terrain generator, batch compiler, half life model viewer, etc and put them under the hammer directory too.

Where I'm stuck is setting up the hammer so it compiles and uses tiles. My Mum used to make really wicked maps but she can't find the hard drive that had all her map stuff on it, and we're struggling to set up a new working copy on my pc.

Do you know of an easy tutorial in how to set things up?

Thank you very much!

Stacey

{HK}StaceyAnne Wrote:I downloaded "hammer 3.4" and installed it in c:\program files\valve hammer editor\

I then downloaded dod_v131_haircut.fgd and halflife-dod2-expert.fgd and put them in the fgd\day of defeat directory under hammer.

And I downloaded a bunch of other things that seemed useful - wally, bsp2map, terrain generator, batch compiler, half life model viewer, etc and put them under the hammer directory too.

Where I'm stuck is setting up the hammer so it compiles and uses tiles. My Mum used to make really wicked maps but she can't find the hard drive that had all her map stuff on it, and we're struggling to set up a new working copy on my pc.

Do you know of an easy tutorial in how to set things up?

Thank you very much!

Stacey

Well we know whom the star pupil is going to be!
Setting it up is the hard part I want to work with each person on doing before Monday. I have not found a tutorial for doing it but I can show you. Do you have a Google + account? If not I can try talking you through it in Mumble. I will log in tonight at 6:30 pm Pacific time.

What time on Monday?

By the way, I setup a wiki on Wikia.com a few months ago. I was working on a tutorial on creating a map overview, but haven't had the time to finish it lately. Hope to finish it by the end of the summer.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://dodmod.wikia.com/">http://dodmod.wikia.com/</a><!-- m -->

1. Stacey doesn't have Mumble, Her family runs Linux. And they don't make a program for linux yet for mumble or vent.
2. I have Web classes starting in August (going for my Web desigh B.A.), I was never really good in school so I don't want to overload myself before hand.
But 3M you know how long I have been asking for this and how badly I wanted to do it.
Wish there was a way for you to record it as a video so we could rewatch if we needed to until we got it right and then moved to the next subject.
Guess I will have to wait till next year.

I will see about recording it. I didn't know about Linux, I hope the stuff is the same. As for talking, Google+ should work for Linux, let me know.

Ok having some lunarpage issues so the .rar for all the files I have but can not get anyone access to the download page. It is 8.05mb file and I can email it to everyone. But I need a list of all who will be attending on Monday June 25th at 6:30pm PST.

Mumble on LInux:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Installing_Mumble#Linux">http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Installing_Mumble#Linux</a><!-- m -->

I'll be there on Monday.

{HK}Nightrider Wrote:1. Stacey doesn't have Mumble, Her family runs Linux.

Mike has been in Mumble before, and was again tonight.

Decent tutorial for setting up Hammer: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://gamebanana.com/tuts/4986">http://gamebanana.com/tuts/4986</a><!-- m -->

I strongly recommend getting ZHLT for compile tools, way better than the original ones.

For anyone getting started, one of the first things I struggled with was what "size" to make everything. I found a post on the internet which breaks down the sizes quite well.

Quote:Player Height:
Standing: 72
Crouched: 36
Prone: 36

Player Width:
All scenarios: 32

Step Height:
All scenarios: 16

Jumping Height:
Crouching/Standing: 40
Crouch/Jump: 64

Jump Transfer Distance:
Crouch: 98
Walk: 100
Run: 232 (Approx.)
Run + Crouch/Jump: 256 (Approx.)

Standard Door/Doorway Size:
112 x 64 x 8
128 x 64 x 8
(Really depends on texture size, but can be adjusted)

Walls:
The width of a wall does matter for bullet penetration as well as the angle of the short. Different weapons will penetrate more or less based on the type of weapon.

16 units = will prevent light weapons from shooting through the wall
32 units = will prevent heavy/MGs from shooting through the wall
Sniper rifles can penetrate 50 units

If you have a wall with windows, a width more than 24 units will look very odd. If you need to have walls between areas, don't need windows and don't want anything going through, then use 64 units or more.

For wall height, generally 128 to 160 would be considered one level or story. 256 is rather tall (3.5x the height of the player)

I am on google + name TA Bessinas (recon)

Here's links to the software in case anyone wants to play catch up.

* Hammer 3.4

* Valve Hammer 3.5

* Haircut's FGD (Needed for Hammer)

* Nem's Tools: Batch Compiler 3.1.2

In order to run Batch Compiler, you must have the Microsoft .NET 1.1 Framework. You can download it from Microsoft here.

Great first lesson. Thanks to 3M, Talraith and HolyCow for all the instruction. Doing this again next Monday at 6:30pm PST. Cow put up links for all the files needed. Get with one of us before Monday to setup the editor.

Here are the basic mapping video tutorials.

You may not understand everything that goes on in the video, but you will have an insight to how somethings are done. Feel free to use these as a starting point and i'm sure we'll be covering some of these topics as well.

Lastly, in the first video, DO NOT FOLLOW HIS INSTRUCTIONS ON SETTING UP HAMMER. We will cover those things ourselves because his setup is a little weird.

DoD Mapping - Part 1

DoD Mapping - Part 2

DoD Mapping - Part 3

[edit]
If you want to be able to read the text on the screen, make sure you view it at 480p!

Part 2 has been removed.

{HK}recondesprayer Wrote:Part 2 has been removed.

This video has been removed by the user.

I searched as much of the site as I could, trying to find a 2nd map tutorial, And couldn't find one, I could find all kinds of Hammer tutorials.

Not sure what the hell is up with Youtube. I DID NOT delete it. I tested all of them before I posted the links. wtf?

Anyways, i'm currently uploading part 2 again, the link is already updated. If you visit the url within the next 15-20 minutes, you'll get a msg saying to try again later. (once it's done uploading)

Anyways, I hope this helps.

I want to thank HolyCow and Talraith for coming and basically setting everyone up. We did not get much actual map creating done this class but that's OK, I knew the set up was going to be time consuming. Using Goggle + Hangouts went pretty well once we realized you should run it from CHROME. This allows us to share our desktops with the users so they can see what we are doing. The users, if they wish, can share their map windows to show us problems if they want.

If you did not attend Monday but are still interested please contact us via this Forum, we have plenty of time to set you up and get you going for next class.

Going forward I see this evolving from a class to a support group for mapping in general. We had more teachers than pupils which means new mappers will have a faculty instead of a single old school marm available to them!

I look forward to seeing everyone Monday July 2nd.

P.S. Talraith if you come back I promise not to stick the video camera up my nose anymore!

{HK}3M Wrote:P.S. Talraith if you come back I promise not to stick the video camera up my nose anymore!

We don't want it down your pants or up your bunghole either!

:twisted:

Possibly Related Threads…
  Is anyone still Mapping? Started by {HK}Treckie
3 Replies - 5,365 Views
05-08-2020, 09:27 AM
Last Post: {HK}HoLyCoW